Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sayonara Ponytail [ さよならポニーテール ] edition!

Recently, boyfriend showed me a music video by "Sayonara Ponytail" with the words
I always feel sad finding things like that. Because, that’s something i’d like to shoot someday. 
He studies cinematography here in Tokyo. So, he showed me that video and it was so Yuki Aoyama, that I watched all their non drawn video clips, then read about the director, and 100/100! it was Yuki Aoyama who directed two of their videos. And now, I'm going to write about both phenomena.

Sayanara Ponitail videos go first.

  • "the lethargy switch" [2011]

Cute video, nice melody and lyrics. I mean, most of their songs are adorable, but this one is perfect from all sides. Yuki Aoyama then published the book made up from stills from the video Schoolgirl Complex (I bought all the three parts as a present for boyfriend a half year before he showed me the video I'm writing about).





The song is about the lack of enthusiasm and motivation to do anything. The girl sings about how she doesn't want to see the sunlight, to participate in any kind of activity (because "somebody will do it instead anyway, so why to even bother"), but wants to make doodles, flirt and snuggle into a futon all days long. 

  • "our season" [2012]


The lyrics of this song just describe the things that are happening in the video. But in an even more abstract way, adding more emotional depth to it. Is it possible? Who cares.


I like how everything goes crazy at the end though.


  • "In love with sports" [2013] (not sure about this one - "恋するスポーツ" ?)


A very very loose translation of the first four lines:

I noticed that you were watching me
How naughty!
Maybe, it means you like me?
I want you to hug me tight


Ahh, girls.

  • it's time for secrets [2013]

I think, it's their latest non drawn video, and it was also directed by Yuki Aoyama, and by the end of the filming, he published a book, just as he did it directing their video for the first time.

All these four videos are my favorites, no one gets the second place. The aesthetic of being a japanese schoolgirl is captured so well, that all I can think about is "Oh, what a sweet fairytale!". But then I realize, that it's not a made up story but a pretty real world, and my mind just blows up. I remember, how I cried heavily when I was reading Mineko Iwasaki's biography. Not because it was overly melodramatic or anything, but just because I wanted to be born in 20 century and risen up in a geishas house. Now, japanese make me suffer for the second time.

Anyway, you have to have a look at Yuki Aoyama's photography (I won't be held responsible if it breaks your heart):



















No comments:

Post a Comment